Database Administration is very hot topic these days, specially Data ware house, Business Intelligence and Database Administration. Looking at analysis and reports by hosted by http://www.payscale.com/, people are making money by building and deploying these skill sets.
One of my friend, got a job paying $160,000 a year in California and one my college recently joined a company at a CTC of 27 lakh INR, yes Twenty Seven lakh a year.
Does these figure motivates you to acquire these skill sets, definitely yes, being a technical, these are quite good figures specially with experience between 7-12 years.
Now Question arises, How should I become a professional DBA ?
Here is step by step guide to become a DBA
- Get in touch with experienced DBA’s and interact with them more openly and Offenly
- Get a Training from reliable and expert sources.
- Get a professional level certification.
- Update and rebuild your resume.
- Prepare for Interview by reading some Interview Questions
- Have patience, because you might not get a offer on your first interview,believe me, I took approximately 13 months and 17 interviews to get a first job as a DBA. (13 & 17 special numbers)
- During your interview time, continuously read articles, subscribe newsletters, join Microsoft forums for solving other’s problem
- Accept and Join a company where you have more DBA, do not accept a first DBA job with individual contributor role, this will enhanced and polish your skill set.
- Start working as DBA
- Practicing DBA Tasks and keep continue to interact with other DBA’s
Thanks, Andy, while interacting with you, I see a requirement for posting this small write up.