While browsing a ASP site, you end up getting SQL Server error 80004005.
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error ’80004005′
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Specified SQL server not found.
Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL Server error 80004005, primary occurs because ASP page is unable to connect to SQL Server using connections settings, which you used in connection String.
There are multiple cause, which can result, microsoft ole db provider for odbc drivers error 80004005 or Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL Server error 80004005.
I would suggest you to quickly go thru thru this checklist, to ensure everything is correct.
CHECKLIST to FIX Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL Server error 80004005
- Make Sure there is no syntax error in your connection String, you see multiple examples of Connections Sting here
- Ensure that you have used the Correct parameters in Connection String and there is no Typo Error in SERVERNAME, USER NAME, Datasource name
- Try connect to SQL Server Directly from SQL Server Management Studio using the details, which you specified in the connection string.
There might be a possibility that you can connect to Server by IP address but not by names or you can connect to SQL Server just by typing FQDN which is SQL Server name.DomainNAME but not by just Server NAME. you have specified the instance name , if you are connecting to sql server instance.
- There might be a possibility there is firewall between Application web server , your Machine and SQL Server, so it’s better to try the validate connection directly from Application Server / IIS Server. If SQL Server Management studio is not installed, you can use ODBC from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Data Sources (ODBC)
If that success, you should be good now but if you fail to connect to SQL Server from application Server using ODBC then validate
- your SQL Server is running
- you can connect to SQL Server using same credentials in connection string directly at SQL Server, if not
- Check SQL Server Authentication setting and make sure it’s running in MIXED MODE
- you might want to check Cannot connect to SQL Server, ERROR 2
- Then try to FIX connectivity by verifying SQL Server is using TCP IP protocol
- SQL Server is enable for remote connections
- SQL Server is running port 1433 else specify port in connection string
- Certificates are working and are not expired, incase Certificates are used.
Ideally, the above checklist should be able to fix Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL Server error 80004005
Keywords : ole db provider odbc drivers error 80004005 microsoft jet database engine update windows sql server providers data name connection hosting 0×80004005 ms connect