What will be the affect on performance if we run SQL Server 32 bit on a Windows 64 bit systems ?
The Overall performance of the SQL Server 32 bit on windows 64 bit will be same as before but we will experience slow performance when we use following tools, which are 32 bit binaries.
- SQL Server Management Studio
- SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Database Engine Tuning Advisor
Workaround to this identified performance issue
To improve performance, run these 32-bit tools on a computer that is running a 32-bit operating system. Then, connect to a 64-bit server that is running SQL Server.
Adding to this following constraints also apply,
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence Development Studio is not designed to run on the IA-64 64-bit architecture and is not installed on IA-64-based servers. SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence Development Studio is the 32-bit development environment for business intelligence solutions.
- If you have 64-bit (x64) management tools, SQL Server Integration Services, and SQL Server Notification Services installed as part of a 64-bit instance of SQL Server 2005, you cannot install 32-bit versions of the same components in a side-by-side configuration.
For More Details on Running SQL Server 32 bit on windows 64 bit, check my other post.