Can we run Reporting Services with SQL Server Express Edition, which is a free version of SQL Server ?
Yes, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services support Reporting Services. we can use SQL Server Express Edition for deploying reporting Services.
What are the limitations in Reporting Services on SQL Server Express Edition ?
Microsoft offers reporting services free as part of SQL Server Express with Advance Services edition but following restrictions will be applicable to this edition.
- SQL Server Management Studio Express cannot be used to administer report server
- Report Models will not be available
- Other features like Caching, History and Delivery of Report is not available.
- Report Builder is not available
- Local SQL Server is a only option, which can be used as Report Data Source.
- We cannot store the report server database on a remote server, it has to be local only.
- Reports can be rendered only in Excel, PDF, Image formats only
- No SQL Server agent is available, so no scheduling is possible.
- Reporting Services will not be able to use more than 1 GB of RAM
- No Subscriptions (Standard and Data Driven) can be made
- Can not be integrated with Share Point
- Only named instances is supported
- Scale-out Report Servers will not be available
- Can not implement Role based security.
How to Install SQL Server Express with Reporting Services ?
It’s pretty straight to install SQL Server Express with Reporting Services.
- Download SQL Server Express with Advance Services
- Run the executable associated with the download.
Install the required components for all downloads of SSE. For detailed instructions, check my previous post
and follow the same steps, as mentioned in my previous post