The Microsoft SQL Server Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007 provides discovery and monitoring of SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2. Microsoft has released Monitoring management pack download recently (August-5-2010) and it does plenty of the task, which normally one would like to do. I still need to download and test this with MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager )
As per the Microsoft, SQL Server Monitoring Management Pack has the following features
The following list gives an overview of the features of the SQL Server management pack. Refer to the SQL Server management pack guide for more detail.
- Support for Enterprise, Standard and Express editions of SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 and 32bit, 64bit and ia64 architectures.
- Support for both simple and complex SQL configurations such as clustered installations, multiple instances and 32bit roles running on a 64bit OS. For full details on supported configurations refer to the guide included with the management pack.
- Discovery and monitoring of SQL Server roles such as DB Engine, Reporting Services, Analysis Services, Integrations Services.
- Discovery of SQL components such as databases, the SQL Agent and SQL jobs.
- Views covering areas such as database free space, SQL related performance, SQL related alerts, and lists of the various SQL roles and components which are discovered and their related state.
- Discovery and basic monitoring for SQL Server Reporting Services and Integration Services.
- Reports for longer-term analysis of common problem areas related to SQL Server such as SQL Server lock analysis and top deadlocked databases, SQL Server service pack levels across discovered roles, user connection activity. Likewise the generic reports from the Microsoft Generic Report Library can be used against the roles and components discovered by the SQL MPs to review availability and performance across many systems and over longer periods of time.
- Role and component specific tasks which provide access to common tools, triage information, or corrective actions without needing to leave the Operations Console in most cases.
- Monitoring of databases covers database status, database free space, log shipping monitoring for both the source and destination, and transaction log free space.
- Monitoring of key SQL related services.
- Monitoring for persistent SPID blocking.
- Monitoring of numerous SQL events and performance data points. Alerts bring the issue to your attention and provide knowledge on the impact and possible resolutions.
- A low-privilege configuration for discovery and monitoring that eliminates the need for SQL sysadmin, dbo, db_owner, and box admin privileges.
Download - SQL Server Monitoring Management Pack