What Steps / Strategy we should opt to Improve SQL Server Performance ?
Increasing SQL Server Performance being expected by every DBA. Performance can not be increased just by running perfmon , task manager or running profile. We should have straight forward steps to increase SQL Server Performance.
The Steps to Improve SQL Server Performance
- Find the bottlenecks hidden in your system – Know what to measure and how to measure it!
- Produce "Top 10/20 Reports" of queries adversely affecting your business – What to fix first
- Analyze the causes – Know the important technical details of SQL Server real world operation
- Implement solutions – Increase SQL Server performance with improvements that are worth the cost
- Do the right thing at first step – Increasing Hardware might not increase your performance, if your design / TSQL is not designed properly.
This is pretty common thing, but I explicitly need to write this, as one of my customer wanted to understand, how we actually increase the SQL Server performance.